Sunday, September 16, 2012

Vegan "Meatloaf?" Yes, please!

One of sweet hubby's all time favorite dinners has always been meatloaf. I was never a big meatloaf fan before meeting him - even Mom's meatloaf, as great a cook as she always was, just wasn't for me. However, I did manage to find a way to cook it so that even I enjoyed it (mainly be leaving out the green bell pepper which I've just never liked). Then we go and change to a plant based diet and sweet hubby thinks meatloaf is a thing of the past. Well, he was wrong. Sort of. :)

Wonderful Kay, our next door neighbor, shared a recipe with me that I adjusted to our own tastes and it turned out fantastic! The look on sweet hubby's face tonight when he sat down to a beautiful plate of cheesy mashed potatoes, peas and "meatloaf" was priceless. :) He was beside himself.



The mashed potatoes were almost an after thought. I'd bought the boxed mix a few weeks ago and almost forgot about it. I'd read a lot of good reviews of this brand and they were right. Easy to make and so tasty! Sometimes a shortcut is a good thing. This was definitely one of those times. Completely dairy free, too. :)




I double the ingredients in Kay's recipe and spiced it up considerably. Her sweet Bill doesn't care for spicy food but we all love it - the spicier, the better for us.

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I started with 2 cups of oats, about a cup of red onion and a couple of cloves of garlic. Put them in the food processor and blend together.

Before:


After:




Dump this into a good size bowl and add 4 Tablespoons soy sauce (or Bragg's liquid aminos), 4 Tablespoons nutritional yeast, 2 Tablespoons veggie broth, 8 Tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce (we used Head Country Hot), 2 Tablespoons oregano and 2 teaspoons thyme.



Mix this together well using a large fork or wooden spoon. Make sure you mix it well.



Pour into an 8x8 glass baking dish and mash down so that it's even. Pour a small amount of BBQ sauce all over the top.



Place in oven for 30-35 minutes and then let sit for 10 minutes to set before serving. Then, sit back and be amazed at how this completely plant-based, fat free dinner really hits the spot. :) Yummo!


- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment