Wednesday, September 5, 2012

PIZZA PIZZA PIZZA

Pizza has always been a favorite at our house but it hasn't always been the healthiest thing we liked to eat. Hard to believe you can have a completely satisfying pizza without meat or CHEESE but it's so true! We don't even miss the cheese.

We've been ordering pizzas from Domino's -- thin crust veggie pizza with no cheese (you have to be sure to tell them no feta either because apparently they don't know that's cheese - sigh) but wow, it's expensive. You can get two large pizzas with meat and cheese for $7.95 each but if you get veggies with no cheese, they're suddenly $14 each instead. We decided NOT to do that anymore.

I found some great whole wheat pizza crusts at Whole Foods recently but hadn't gotten around to making homemade pizza just yet. I looked around on the Internet for recipes but nothing really appealed to me so I decided to just wing it.

Tonight we ordered a thin crust veggie pizza from Pizza Hut (only $10 instead of $14) and I made a homemade one, too, so we could compare them side by side.

My pizza was a bit different. I made it with red, green and yellow bell peppers as well as fresh basil snipped from Kay's front yard and green olives (I didn't have any black). Heathen son and I piled on the tomatoes, red onions and mushrooms on our side, too, but sweet hubby doesn't like those ingredients so we left them off his side.

Sweet hubby said he liked mine just as well as the Pizza Hut pizza but he'd like me to jazz up the sauce somehow and make it a little spicier. I suggested red pepper flakes (which heathen son always puts on his pizza) but told him I'd see what I could do to spice up the sauce next time.

Yep, no more restaurant bought pizza for us. Good thing it only takes about 5 minutes to put together (I have a fridge full of cut up veggies all the time so all I had to do was sprinkle them on!) and about 10 minutes in the oven. Oh, and I got to use my Pampered Chef pizza stone that I bought about, oh, I don't know.... 6 years ago maybe.... for the very first time. :)

Isn't it pretty? :)



- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment