Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ginger "Beef" Stir Fry

I've adapted quite a few of our old favorite recipes to our new plant-based eating lifestyle and this is one I didn't really expect to be able to duplicate - but it's probably turned out to be the best adaptation so far.

We've all liked my ginger beef stir fry. It would be good even without meat because the sauce is so tasty but when I found Lightlife's smart strips - steak style seasoned veggie strips, well... it was even better. They look like steak strips and have the same texture, too... except they're 100% veggie and have 14 grams of protein per serving. Pretty awesome!



I make the sauce first and let it sit so all the flavors will combine. 1/2 cup of veggie broth, 3 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce (I use the Bragg's liquid aminos), 2 1/2 teaspoons of cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of minced ginger. Combine it all in a small bowl and let it sit while you put everything else together.



I always cut up all the veggies to begin with. About 3 cups of small broccoli pieces cut in half. 2 red bell peppers, sliced. 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and 1 grated carrot. It's really colorful.




The boys LOVE this stuff so next time I have to remember to make a double batch. I'm sure both of them would have eaten more if we'd had more. :)

Saute the carrots and mushrooms in a couple tablespoons of veggie broth for about 3 minutes.



Then add the broccoli, bell peppers and veggie strips and cook for about 3-5 minutes longer.



Add more veggie broth to keep it from sticking. When the veggies are done, pour in the sauce and cook on low until sauce thickens.



Top with chopped green onions and serve over brown rice. Crazy good!

- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment