Friday, September 14, 2012

Soup weather - finally!

Oh, how I love soup! I could practically live on soup - BUT, only when the weather is cool or cold. I just can't eat soup when it's warm or hot -- and after the summer we've had it feels like it's been hot FOREVER.

I was thrilled to hear the forecast this morning - highs in the 60s. Wow... definitely soup worthy weather!

One of our favorites for the last fews years has been a sweet potato Italian sausage soup with spinach. So yummy. And, other than the Italian sausage, (and chicken stock I used to use), it's very plant based. With just a few adjustments, I was sure I could make it plant strong - and I was right. Had some for lunch and it was DE-LISH!

Heathen son actually found a vegetable protein sausage to try. "Gimme Lean" sausage was the name. While it had spicing like sausage, it didn't have the Italian sausage spicing we were used to but I added some fennel seeds and that did the trick.

First I sauteed some onion & garlic, along with the fennel seeds - then I crumbled the veggie sausage and cooked it all together for about 5 minutes.




I peeled and microwaved 4 good sized sweet potatoes and then cubed them up. Added this to the sausage onion mixture along with 6 cups of veggies broth.




Let that all simmer together for about 15 minutes and then used a potato masher to mash down some of the sweet potato cubes. This thickens the soup. Finally, I added about 2 cups of kale and let it wilt down.





It ended up really pretty and so appetizing! Can't wait to serve it to sweet hubby for dinner tonight with some good, crusty whole wheat bread. Yummo!

- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment