Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Mushroom Stroganoff

Heathen son and I like mushrooms in general and we both LOVE portobello mushrooms. Sweet hubby, not so much. In fact, he doesn't like onions, mushrooms or tomatoes -- probably the three main ingredients most recipes start with (including mine!). However, I have discovered that if I just chop up the mushrooms and onions small enough he'll usually be fine with it. It's not so much the taste he doesn't like as it is biting into an onion or a mushroom.

Tonight's dinner though... I don't know. Mushroom stroganoff. He had a late meeting at work this afternoon and isn't home yet so we'll see what he thinks. Heathen son and I both think it's a winner! :)

Just in case sweet hubby doesn't like it, I made something else that he will like... sloppy Joe's (made with TVP, of course) and vegetarian baked beans. If he decides he likes the stroganoff, he'll definitely have a full plate! :)



To start the stroganoff, I sauteed some green onions, some red onion (I like their flavor better), some garlic, thyme and rosemary in a couple tablespoons of water. I didn't really measure anything... maybe a teaspoon each of the spices.

Last weekend I'd chopped up a whole pound of portobello mushrooms with my handy Vidalia onion chopper from Bed, Bath & Beyond (I just love that store!) so I had those ready to go. I also put 1 oz. of dried porcini mushrooms in a cup of boiling water to sit for about 30 minutes.

I tossed in the portobello mushrooms and cooked it all for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Then I chopped the porcini mushrooms and added them, along with the soaking water and a half cup of dry white wine. Oh. My. Gosh. It smelled so good!


I let that cook for about 20 minutes, until most of the liquid had evaporated. While that was cooking, I cooked a pound of angel hair pasta and drained it. I think fettucini or any thicker noodle would have probably been even better but angel hair was what I had so I made do.

Next up, I made some tofu sour cream. I am not a big tofu fan but this stuff is blended so it is nothing at all like tofu. Tofu doesn't have a taste really anyway... it's a consistency thing with me not liking it. Sweet hubby doesn't want to bite into an onion, I don't like biting into tofu. :)

To make the tofu sour cream, I used an entire package of silken light tofu, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar. Blend it all together and it makes about 1 1/2 cups. You can use this on baked potatoes, enchiladas... anything you need a good sour cream substitute for.



I poured about a cup of the sour cream mixture over the noodles (the rest will keep in the fridge for awhile to use somewhere else), then poured the mushroom mixture in and stirred it all up. Oh, wow. It was amazingly good. Definitely a keeper, whether sweet hubby is on board or not.



Here's the recipe in a form that may be easier to follow:

Mushroom Stroganoff 

• 2 large green onions, sliced thinly

• 4 cloves garlic, minced

• 2 teaspoons thyme

• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

• 1 teaspoon rosemary

• 1 pound portobello mushrooms, chopped

• 1 ounce porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1 cup boiling water for 30 minutes

• ½ cup dry white wine

• 1 pound whole-grain pasta of choice, cooked

• 1 cup Tofu Sour Cream (recipe follows)



Place the green onions in a large skillet with a couple tablespoons of water and sauté over a medium heat for several minutes.

Add the garlic, rosemary and thyme, and cook for another minute.

Stir in the portobello mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the porcini mushrooms, and their soaking liquid, and the wine.

Stir, and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.


When the stroganoff is finished cooking, stir in the sour cream.

Add the cooked noodles and toss well.

Tofu Sour Cream


• 1 package extra firm lite silken tofu, drained

• 1 tablespoon lemon juice

• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy. Chill until ready to serve.

- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment