Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Spaghetti Casserole

Okay - so... Even though I redeemed myself Sunday night with a really good dinner, I'm feeling like I still need to make up for that really sucky dinner Friday night. :)

I didn't make dinner last night. Sweet hubby got home early because he thought he was going to have to help heathen daughter with some car repair. Turned out, the warning lights quit coming on so he didn't have to do anything and we sat in the study drinking wine and eating baked corn chips and hummus. I kept trying to go fix dinner and he kept begging for 10 more minutes. By the time heathen son got home, he just went to Chipotle to get something instead of me having to cook. It was a nice surprise, really, to have another night off. :) Not looking a gift meal in the mouth. :)

I originally thought we were going to have a couple of carnivore's over for dinner last night so I'd planned a spaghetti dinner, something that would make ALL of us happy. Since that didn't happen last night, I knew I had to make spaghetti tonight so I could use the bread before it got too stale. Rather than just making spaghetti though, I decided to turn it into a casserole.

I sauteed some onions and red bell peppers in a little water, added garlic, oregano and basil and then added some Light Life ground crumbles (TVP - textured vegetable protein). I added some zesty spice spaghetti sauce and simmered it on low while I cooked the spaghetti noodles.

Once the noodles were done, I drained them and added the sauce mixture to it and poured it into a 9x13 baking dish. I add some Daiya vegan cheese to the top (yes, it's processed and yes, it has fat but everyone needs a little splurge once in awhile, right?) and covered it with foil. I put it in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Once the timer went off, I took off the foil and topped the casserole with bread crumbs and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes. I'd spread minced garlic on some fresh Italian bread (not whole wheat...again with the splurge!) and put it in the oven at the same time for those last 10 minutes.

When the timer went off, we had a delicious dinner. Sweet hubby and heathen son both had two BIG plates full and I enjoyed mine as well. It was about halfway through dinner I realized I hadn't taken a single picture of the process. Sigh... so I took this picture of what was left of sweet hubby's second plate. :)




I was informed by heathen son that he would be fine if I wanted to make this for his birthday dinner next week and sweet hubby said this has to be in his top two favorite meals I've cooked since we started our plant based adventure a couple of months ago. :) I like that. Guess I'd better keep this recipe plan.

- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, sweet home

No comments:

Post a Comment