Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My new favorite recipe!

It's amazing to me how many people think eating a plant based diet wouldn't be satisfying.  I'm finding it to be just the opposite!  I've found lots of new recipes that I would classify as comfort food and I've learned a new word to describe that mmm-mmmm good, satisfying quality of this kind of food -- umami.  That's even fun to say!  :)

I wish I had some pictures to post of this amazingly delicious casserole.  Since I don't, that just means I'm going to have to make it again soon so I can take some to add to the blog.  :)  Yeah, that's it.  That's the ticket.


Curried Sweet Potato Casserole
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
·         1/2 onion, chopped
·         2 cups carrots, chopped (about 4 carrots)
·         2 cups. celery, chopped
·         One 8 oz. package of tempeh, shredded (I like the spicy kind)
·         3/4 t. salt
·         2 t. minced ginger
·         1 1/2 t. cumin
·         1 1/2 t. coriander
·         3 t. curry powder
·         3 T. whole wheat flour
·         2 cups vegetable broth
·         1 t. stevia
·         1 can drained peas
·         1 can drained chickpeas
·         One 20 oz. package Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs (any brand will work really if you can find them)

Instructions
·         Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
·         In a large skillet sauté onion, carrots and celery in a couple tablespoons of veggie broth over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes.
·         Add grated tempeh and add salt.
·         Sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the tempeh starts to brown.
·         Add ginger, cumin, coriander, curry and flour and stir until evenly coated.
·         Pour in remaining vegetable broth and heat until thickened.
·         Add peas, chickpeas and stevia and heat through.
·         Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray..
·         Spread mixture evenly throughout dish. Top with sweet potato puffs.
·         Bake casserole for 45-55 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and puffs are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment