Thursday, October 25, 2012

Super Soup!

It was 70 degrees when we left the house this morning but, within a couple of hours, the temps had dropped down into the 50s. Fall made its official arrival a few weeks ago but our weather just caught on. And that can only mean one thing --- soup for dinner! Hooray! :)

My wonderful next door neighbor shared this recipe recently. First she brought a small sample (which I scarfed down in no time) and then I had to twist her arm to share the recipe. Well, I didn't twist too hard. And, of course, I didn't actually follow the recipe so it has my own twist. :)

I've got to admit I've eaten quite a few things in the last few months since we switched to a plant-based diet that had never even been in my house before. Some I've liked... some not so much. For instance, none of us even care if we ever see another parsnip. :) This recipe called for millet and we've all decided that millet is A-OK with us. However, I was out of millet today (I did use it the first time I made this soup though!), I did have some quinoa and I was sure that would do in a pinch. I was right! And while I've had cauliflower many times, I'd never had it in soup before so that was new as well.

Like most all of the recipes I've been making lately, this one starts with saute-ing (how DO you spell that?) some chopped up veggies. As usual, I had some bell peppers and onions chopped up but I also had some leeks from a recipe I made earlier this week (that was a first, too!). I used the leeks in place of the onions this time even though I had some already chopped - I was afraid both might have been too much.

I cooked 2 cups of quinoa (the recipe called for one cup of grain but I went ahead and made two cups -- will save some for something I make this weekend) in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.

While the quinoa was cooking I chopped up a full head of cauliflower along with 3 stalks of celery. I sauteed the leeks, celery, bell pepper and a chopped carrot for about 5 minutes in a little veggie broth. The veggie broth I used this time was darker than the stuff I usually use so I was afraid the soup would turn out a funny color but it really didn't. The recipe called for water but I like veggie broth better.






To the sauteed veggies I added 1 teaspoon each of basil, thyme and celery seed. Then I added the cauliflower and 6 cups of veggie broth. I let this simmer for about 20 minutes. Once the quinoa was cooked, I added that, too.

Next comes the surprising part -- the creamy soup base. Not using milk or cream or half & half, you'd think it would be hard to create a creamy soup but this stuff makes it easy!

Put 2 tablespoons of white miso, 3/4 cup of raw cashews, 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast and 1 cup of water in your blender and blend until smooth. Voila! The best vegan creamy soup base you can imagine. Add this to your soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. This is a thick, creamy, amazing soup that you'll just love!

The BEST dinner for cool fall evening. :) Yummo!



- Posted by Jennifer

Location:Home, Sweet Home

No comments:

Post a Comment